WHAT IS AYURVEDA?
People are talking about it on Instagram, in our favorite (zoom) yoga classes, and in the news. Ayurveda has become a popular topic.
The short answer is that it’s a form of alternative medicine and holistic healing.
For over 5,000 years it’s been practiced in India. It literally translates to “The Science of Life”. Ayurvedic philosophy teaches that everyone is born with a mixture of three doshas, and that health can only exist when the doshas are in balance.
Elements of the Three Doshas
Attributes of the Three Doshas
Doshas are considered to be forces that create the physical body and determine how we grow, how we live, and how we age.
Because Ayurveda emphasizes prevention of illness while encouraging maintenance of health through close attention to diet, lifestyle, and supplements, many turn to it for help creating a balanced body, mind, and soul.
Just as we all have a unique fingerprint, we are all born with a unique composition that adds up to our unique balance of dosha. Many variables, including stresses, diet, relationships, and even the seasons and weather can affect the balance of our doshas.
But lucky for us, there are many easy ways to bring all three doshas back into balance. (Discover your dosha here!)
BRINGING YOUR BODY INTO BALANCE WITH AYURVEDA
Agni, or digestive fire, is at the core of Ayurveda’s definition of a healthy, resilient body. Here are a few of our favorite products to stimulate healthy agni:
- Pungent Ginger and Ginger Tea supports digestion.
- Ashwagandha rebuilds and nourishes the adrenal glands while reducing the impacts of stress.
- Herbs such as Cumin Seeds, Coriander Seeds and Fennel Seeds can rekindle digestive fire while bringing balance back to the digestive system.
- Triphala helps replenish and rejuvenate the tissues of the digestive tract.
- Lower cortisol levels elevated by stress with Tulsi/ Holy Basil.
BRINGING YOUR MIND INTO BALANCE WITH AYURVEDA
A clear, calm, focused mind is a key element of balance and health in Ayurveda. Our experts love these herbs and supplements for bringing the mind into balance:
- Bacopa is often used to support problem-solving, healthy memory, and the nervous system.
- Support aging and meditation with Gotu Kola which supports a healthy complexion and physical strength.
- Ashwagandha has been shown to support healthy memory, relaxation, and improved sleep.
Shop for Products
Browse our selection of vitamins and supplements.
BRING YOUR SOUL INTO BALANCE WITH AYURVEDA
As humans, we need to nurture an ongoing experience of calm, according to Ayurvedic teachings.
- Exercise to bring balance to your life.
- Incorporate yoga poses that balance your dosha into your daily routine.
- Set aside time to meditate weekly to help clear negative feelings and the physical manifestations of these imbalances.
- Practice Abhyanga, or self-massage, using warm sesame oil before showering to eliminate toxins and improve circulation.
- Try Tongue Scraping to increase your overall wellbeing and improve your breath.
WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW YOUR DOSHA TYPE
This quiz at chopra.com is an excellent resource to get you started!
Ayurveda is a complex system. Discovering your dosha can be the first step toward creating a more balanced, healthy, and rewarding life.
For more info on how to shop for your dosha, visit our Instagram to shop with our Ayurvedic Practitioner Partner, Carmen Sima!
Carmen will take you on a VIP shopping experience through our Hermosa Beach store and will show you several supplements and foods that will improve balance for your dosha type!
After you join Carmen for your virtual VIP shopping experience, be sure to visit your local Lazy Acres Market and connect with an in-store Wellness Expert. We’re ready to help answer any questions you have and to help you find the tools you need.
As we all take steps to improve our health and to live well, we inspire others and give them permission to do the same. Living Healthy improves our lives on a micro level and also helps us begin to contribute to the improvement of our environment, our communities, and our world in ways we can’t always imagine.